Thursday, January 14, 2010

Forgetting December

We started December off by going to Temple Square to see the lights although we had an ulterior motive. It is always a favorite tradition for Dane and I to go see the lights but this year we needed to track down Vikki's friend from Scotland who was recently called on a mission to Temple Square. The point of this was that she wanted to meet Jon before he and Vikki are married. We didn't want to get her in trouble and she didn't exactly know we were coming so we had to do some sneaking around the temple grounds to look for sister missionaries who were wearing the scottish flag on their lapel(indicating the country that they have come from). Of course it happened to be like THE coldest day yet in Utah and we were dying because of the wind so we had to get loads of hot cocoa from the Joseph Smith Memorial building cafe.
We did indeed find Sister Terry but she was wearing someone else's coat which had a Swedish flag on it so it threw us off a bit and to my dismay she didn't have any gloves. Has this girl heard of Utah?? Her mission is to walk around mostly outside all winter long in Salt Lake City and she didn't bring any gloves?! Before we left we made sure their bellies were full of good hot cocoa and that they had gloves on their fingers. Temple square was especially pretty this year and was lit up well which was nice as the last few years have been a little bleak on the lights (recession?).  It was cold but a fun time had by all.





One of my favorite childhood memories was seeing 'The Windows' at the ZCMI center across from Temple Square. The entire length of the building was filled with the most elaborate ginger bread houses and buildings and scenes. Now that ZCMI is gone, so are the Christmas windows but this year I did see some neat gingerbread houses at Maceys. Yes lame I know, but the community contests is one of the things I like about living in a smaller town. Here are a few pictures of some of the entries:



We also participated in the yearly FHE of walking to the Christmas tree lot by C & L's and picking out a tree to decorate. Big boy Harrison helped pull the wagon and Carter cried again (I think I have a nearly identical picture of carter crying at the lot last year just a year younger). Always a great FHE.








Dane and I double dated with Rick and Tami and attended Sushi For Santa which is a charity event and auction that is partnered up with Angel Hands Foundation who helps children with rare and incurable diseases. It was a lot of the best best sushi in Utah and we really enjoyed ourselves.  We will definitely be attending next year as well.

We celebrated Chris' birthday with Z's, presents, and cake (Go Chris, It's your birthday!). Harrison and Carter made this special birthday hat for their dad:

Saw childhood friends Jen, Whitney, and Amber at Elise Chamberlain's wedding. I still can't believe she is old enough to get married! I remember the day Tresa brought her home from the hospital (I practically lived at the Chamberlains growing up, Whitney and I had a serious case of being stuck at the hip). Sadly my camera died before  I could get a picture of the beautiful Elise.
 

We caught up with one of Dane's old friends Brooks from Fresno. He hosted an awesome Christmas party complete with Italian dinner, gifts (so sweet!), and good ole fashioned Wii

We decorated Dane's Grandmas apartment for Christmas:

Last but not least Kiersten hosted an awesome (as always) white elephant party. Thanks Kierst!



No comments: