This week I decided to try the fruit and produce co-op Bountiful Baskets and I can't tell you enough how much I love it!! It's $15 dollars and you sign up on Monday or Tuesday of the weeks you would like to participate and then pick up your goodies Saturday morning from the local pick up site. I can't believe how much food you actually get, it amazes me.
So for any of our friends and family who live in Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming you really should try it out one week. The website is a little cumbersome but it is well worth it in the end.
The baskets are different every week as they put what is seasonably available in there as well as buy from as many local farmers as possible. If you would like an organic basket, some locations offer it and it's an extra ten bucks. This week I just did a regular conventional basket and here is what was in it: 9 bananas, large bunch of spinach, large head of romaine lettuce, 2 cucumbers, 8 roma tomatoes, 4 large artichokes, 13 radishes, 1 cantaloupe, 1 honeydew melon, 10 cameo apples, 3 packages of blackberries, and 8 kiwis
Each basket contains half fruit and half veggies and occasionally you can order add ons to your basket like I did this week. I purchased a mexican pack add on for $6 which included the following additions: 2 zucchinis, 4 large jalapenos, 6 limes, 2 white onions, 10 tomatillos, 4 avocados, 1 head of garlic, 2 bunches of green onions, and 1 large bunch cilantro.
So worth it! There is no way Dane and I will be able to eat all of this is one week, so I think I will be a twice a month type of customer. They tell you to expect around $60 of produce for your $15 bucks, not too shabby. Can't wait to get my cook on. If anybody has questions about this co-op or the website, leave me a comment or email me :)
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I remember reading about 'local farmer' baskets a long long time ago and wishing I could participate in something like that. It's actually amazing the amount of stuff you got. It looks amazing. You'll have to give us updates on what you concoct out of the awesome. I <3 Artichokes. I've no idea what to do with them though. :)
xxx
Wow. That is an amazing amount of vegetables and fruits. And you only paid $15? Wha? Is there a membership fee? How do I sign up for this?
Oh Vikki when you move to Utah (because you WILL live in Utah :) ) I'll teach you how to steam artichokes and make the dipping sauce and we will just eat food from our bountiful baskets all day long.
Kierst- No membership, No commitment. But your first time there is an extra $3 fee to cover administrative costs. Pay when you want food, don't when you don't. Your drop off area would be at Black Diamond on 3900 s. 2000 east. Check out their website to learn more www.bountifulbaskets.org but just so you know we are considered 'southern utah' (weird right anything south of bountiful is southern Utah) so the time to pay is Monday at 4pm.
Wow, that looks great! We might have to be pick up buddies.
DUDE. This is awesome. I have heard about stuff like this and can't find one around us for even close to that price. If we move back to Utah someday, I will FOR SURE be doing that! We miss you guys! We are coming the first week of July so lets hang out!
Linds, we are soo bountiful basket buddies! We'll go in two Saturdays when you're back.
Jess July sounds great and you should check this co-ops website because they have 57 sites around Idaho but I am Idaho illiterate so I have no clue how close anything is to you. Soo worth a little drive within reason though
Wow! That is awesome!!
Hey! I have a friend that did this and she raved about it also! The website was bit confusing for me so I haven't looked any more into doing it. I'll have to come back to your blog and read again what you wrote about it, as well as what's written in the comments. (for some reason I feel like I'm unable to take the time to read them right now. My brain is moving to fast...lol)
Thanks for letting us know about this gem!
Tomatillos=salsa
2 tomatillos
3 roma tomatoes
two spoon fulls chopped onion
some cilantro
4 spoonfuls of brown sugar
blend it up. bam! or if yan can cook so can you!
oh ya, blend it
Post a Comment