Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Santa- Just Another Name for Satan??

This is my first (of many- I'm sure) blog entries where I am posting about something that truly bothers me. The story is true, but the names have been changed to protect the innocent (and their moronic neighbors). I am Simply DISGUSTED about a story I heard earlier this week. My Friend, 'Lisa' lets call her, is generally in charge of the ward/neighborhood Christmas party. This year Lisa's mother passed away a few weeks before the party. As one could imagine, she is in a state of great grieving so she came to the conclusion that planning the big party at this difficult time was a little too much too handle. Upon this decision, Lisa's husband 'Charles' was put in charge of finding someone else in the ward to help take on the project.  Five other people were asked to help relieve 'Lisa' of this task while she is grieving and all of them refused to help, Some even laughing and walking away at the mere thought of the large task. Simply Ridiculous. Asinine!  Then the 6th person that was asked, let's call her... 'Catherine' nervously agreed. Although she initially accepted the task, within 24 hours Catherine had sent Charles a nasty Three page letter decrying how the event has previously been done and eventually banning the annual visit from Santa this year. 

Although this is a church sponsored event, more importantly this event brings neighbors of all faiths together. It is a wonderful opportunity to befriend and serve your fellow neighbors that you may not know or would have met otherwise. Some would call this a missionary opportunity. As this is mainly a young family neighborhood of various faiths and degree's of religious attendance, I understand that many inactive and nonmember families come to this event just for the annual Santa visit with their children. Although Charles would not let Lisa read the mean spirited letter, Lisa decided to email some of her other so called friends in the neighborhood for support and in hopes that with their help, together they could pull off an event that would deliver a wonderful spiritual message along with a traditional Christmas visitor for the kids. Amazingly enough, not one of her friends would stand up and help her in this time of need- some too busy, some not wanting to get involved, Some of them citing that -Santa is just another name for Satan- Whoa. 

Now this is where my real ranting will begin. WTF. Now I am ALL for the true focus of Christmas to be Christ as that is the real reason for the season. With that said I am not going to be one of those freaking nut jobs who Doesn't put up a Christmas tree or refuse to give my kids presents because that is not what it's all about. Why can't this season be what it is, a season of love and giving, a season of celebrating the most important birth of all, a season of helping people out in when they are downtrodden, and also a season of fun by letting small children have the innocence that something in the world is as magical as Santa. To those selfish people who seek to rob children of the magic, who inadvertently alienate nonmember neighbors and reject or diminish the opportunity to have them attend an enjoyable neighborhood party where they may also learn about Christ, You Should Be Ashamed!!!

This message was not told with the permission of Lisa or Charles, so if you don't like what I have said, come talk to me. It is possible that some details may have been misunderstood by the writer of this fabulous blog, but I really don't think so. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!

4 comments:

Janelle Ehat said...

Amy, I could hardly believe the title of your post because we had a similar rant FROM THE PULPIT two weeks ago! A new member moved into our ward and was asked to speak on service and announced that "The Lord had revealed" to him that the should speak on a different subject. He never revealed to us his revealed subject but then continued on to use language from the temple and kept making references to "covenants that [we] made and [were] breaking by including Santa Claus and frivolous traditions in such a sacred holiday," and "admonishing [us] to give heed to [his] council" in a loud (almost yelling) baptism preacher style voice booming he proceeded to tell us that "Santa Claus is Satan" and "Lucifer rides in a sleigh pulled my magical creatures" that we were "idol worshipers" and that "just as a child on his birthday would feel terrible if a mean and terrible bully got all of his presents instead of him, the Savior feels that way when we spend his birthday worshiping Satan" and on and on and on! HOLY SMOKES! He also mentioned how "Easter is a mockery of a sacred event" and "Halloween is simply of the devil". We have a very young Bishop and he was taken so much by surprise he didn't stand to make him stop. The spirit was immediately chased from the room and we all sat there in stunned silence. Parents were covering their childrens ears and some took theirs out of Sacrament meeting. It was a CRAZY way to start the Holiday season. I am shocked by your story just as much! Some people go a little overboard and "look beyond the mark" if you ask me.

Amy and Dane said...

Wow Janelle, that is unbelievable. How sad! When I read your comment it made me stop and think how many crazies are among us that are like this? It's nuts!

Laura said...

Wow...I admit I don't like all the consumerism of Christmas, but I actually think Santa Claus helps children learn to build faith...(Even though he's not real obviously, and the Savior is.) Some people get so caught up in trying to be Christ-centered that they don't follow Christ at all. I don't know if I would have protested about not having Santa, but it's really silly that she wrote a letter to this lady's husband saying how bad Santa is...There are truly all kinds in our church, and every church.

Amy and Dane said...

Yes I definitely think that some people let Consumerism take a good hold of this holiday and I think it is sad. I like what you said about faith and that's very true I never thought about it that way. Thanks Laura!